Listen to article
Barely 48 hours after the office of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) was set ablaze by unknown gunmen in Ebonyi State, another facility belonging to the commission was yesterday burnt down.
The development was confirmed on Sunday to The Eastern Updates by the National Commissioner and Chairman Information and Voter Education Committee, Festus Okoye.
In a statement, Okoye said the Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) for the state, Prof. Sylvia Uchenna Agu, reported the incident which occurred in Oru West Local Government Area during an attack.
He said, ‘Overall, this is the 7th attack on our facilities in five states of the federation in the last four months.
‘Once again, the commission expresses its concern on the consequences of what appears to be a systematic attack on its facilities across the country on the conduct of elections in particular and electoral activities in general.’
He stated that the attention of the security operatives in the state has been drawn to this latest incident for investigation.
The Eastern Updates had earlier reported that some yet-to-be-identified gunmen on Friday set ablaze an INEC office in Imo State on Friday reportedly abducting some construction workers who were later rescued.
INEC National Commissioner, Festus Okoye confirmed this in a statement to reporters.
He said; ‘The Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) for Imo State, Professor Sylvia Uchenna Agu, reported that our office in Orlu Local Government Area was attacked. The incident occurred yesterday Thursday 1st December 2022,”
‘The building, which is undergoing extensive renovation following an earlier attack, was vandalised and partially set ablaze. Three out of seven construction workers were abducted but later released.’
Okoye further revealed that the damage would have been more extensive barring the response of the police personnel who were quick in mobilising their men to the scene.