Listen to article
In lieu of the controversial incident which had occurred today during the political rally for Peter Obi, the Ebonyi State Government has finally revealed that before they had disrupted the ongoing rally for the Labour Party presidential candidate, Peter Obi, in Abakaliki on Saturday, some of the agencies of the government had approved the venue for the exercise for the supporters, but the supporters refused to pay the fee.
The Eastern Updates had earlier reported that pandemonium had broken out in Abakaliki on Saturday when some of the supporters of the former Anambra State governor had gathered for their routine one-million-man march.
Obi’s supporters, popularly called ‘Obidients’, had been billed to take off from the People’s Club area, but some thugs alleged to be working for another party in the state invaded the venue and disrupted the rally.
However, debunking reports alleging the involvement of the state government in the attack, Chooks Oko, Special Assistant on Media and Strategy to Governor Dave Umahi said organizers of the rally refused to pay for the venue, forcing the supporters into the street where the hoodlums unleashed the attack.
The statement reads partly, “For record purposes, the relevant government agencies had approved the use of Abakaliki township stadium for a rally by the Labour Party subject to the payment of some specified fees.
“Rather than pay the fees, it was gathered, the organizers chose to empty into the streets causing some untold hardships on the hapless citizens going about their daily pursuits.”
In another report, the presidential candidate of the Labour Party, Mr. Peter Obi, has said that it will be disappointing and damaging if the party fails to win the 2023 presidential election with the support of the labour unions.
He said that he is listening and taking note of what Nigerians want so that he will not have any reason to give excuses when he assumes duty as the president as some elected officials had done in the past.