Listen to article
Ohaneze Ndigbo have reacted to a sit-at-home declared by the proscribed separatist group, Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), for October 1.
While the Ebonyi government dismissed the order, the apex Igbo socio-cultural group said there was nothing wrong with it.
The group, in a statement on Wednesday, said the exercise is its own way of protesting incessant killings in the country especially in the South-east.
The IPOB also claimed ‘it had intelligence report of plots by terror groups to attack people in the South-east who might be celebrating the independence of the country on that day.’
Meanwhile, Ohanaeze’s publicity secretary, Uche Okpaga, said IPOB’s call was in order.
Mr Okoagha said ‘there was nothing wrong for a people to sit at home provided they are not violating the law of the land.’
‘If IPOB said so, we are supporting it. They are our children. We are supporting it since it is not against the law and so far as it is not a violent act. It is obtainable everywhere in the world. So, we are totally in support of it,’ he said.
THE EASTERN UPDATES