Anambra State government says they are prepared for the resumption of Schools as directed by the Federal government, but says only Senior Secondary class three will return.
In the government’s riot act to students, teachers, and managements, the government declared that those that had filled the forms would resume classes, while others who have not would wait.
These were announced at the weekend, by the State Commissioner for Basic Education, Prof Kate Omenugha.
She said, “Only SS3 Students in approved Public, Private and Mission schools are to resume in the State.
“Boarders are to return on Tuesday 4th August 2020, while classes will resume for boarders and day students on Wednesday 5th August 2020.
“However, schools that HAVE NOT complied with the COVID-19 protocols in schools and have not filled the schools’ readiness for resumption form are to delay reopening until they do so.
“They are given between 3rd- 7th August, 2020 to comply. The names of schools that are up to date are to be seen on our website. The list will be updated daily. The safety of our children must be protected.
“Schools are requested to start immediately to prepare students for the upcoming WAEC examination that comes up from 17th August, 2020.
“Students in schools that take only NABTEB examination are to resume on 7th September 2020, as NABTED examinations starts from 21st September, 2020.
“Students boarders who are able to go to school from home, are advised to do so.
” Students who are in the boarding schools need to fill the re-entry clearance forms to enable us track their movement history.
“All schools should have only one point of entrance into the school. This is for proper monitoring and health checks.
“All students’ temperature must be checked with infrared thermometer on a daily basis before they are allowed entry into the school.
“The COVID-19 task force of schools must work together to ensure that all COVID-19 protocols are observed by the students.
“No student shall be allowed into the school without properly putting on a face mask,” Anambra government said
Meanwhile, some of the parents and teachers were not comfortable with the re-opening of Schools as announced, as they fear the safety of their wards and Students
One of the parents, Mrs Ngozi Ezike said re opening the Schools now was risking the lives of the innocent children, adding that the best option in such situation was to make mass promotions in the country for a new academic session
Also, one of the teachers in a private School in the State, who pleaded anonymity, said resumption of Schools by the government was just a sign of wickedness.
The female teacher said the proprietors of the schools and the Mission schools had been in the forefront of such ‘devilish ‘ act for their selfish motives
But one of the parents whose three children were in public School, Mr Chinedu Omasi, commended the Federal government for heeding to the voice of reason in re opening the Schools
He lamented that the children had not been reading at home since the outbreak of the pandemic, adding that what they had been doing was to eat and watch television.
THE EASTERN UPDATES