HomeFeaturesEnugu Govt Awards Fresh Contract For 5-Star Hotel

Enugu Govt Awards Fresh Contract For 5-Star Hotel

Listen to article

The Enugu State Executive Council has approved the construction of a five-star hotel of 380 rooms at the International Conference Centre (ICC), Enugu.

The Eastern Updates reports that the contract was awarded to the China Communication and Construction Company.

The Council also ratified the ₦100 billion deal with Pragmatic Palms Limited to revitalize the moribund Enugu State United Palm Products Limited.

Briefing Government House reporters at the end of the meeting, the Commissioner for Works and Infrastructure, Gerald Otiji; the Commissioner for Transportation, Dr. Obi Ozor; the Commissioner for Culture and Tourism, Dame Ugochi Madueke; and the Commissioner for Agriculture and Agro-Industrialisation, Mr Patrick Ubru, said these were in furtherance to the administration’s focus on making Enugu State the premier destination for investment, business, tourism, and living.

“The Council, today, approved the construction of a five-star hotel at the International Conference Centre premises. It is a 380-room hotel with other world-class amenities, where the best brands will be competing to be partners in this project.

Read Also: Enugu Indigenes Living In Diaspora Reject Grazing Bill

We also approved the N100 billion deal to revitalise Enugu State United Palm Products Limited (UPPL) deal, which is a state asset located at Ugwuoba in Oji River LGA, Umulokpa in Uzo-Uwani LGA, and Ibite-Olo in Eziagu LGA. We are talking about 6,700 hectares, but it is not 100 percent covered by palms because only 2,000 hectares have been planted.

“The state is de-investing 40 percent of our equity, which is the value of our land or assets, and our partners are bringing the remaining 60 percent.

Dame Madueke explained that the proposed facility would have tremendous ripple effects on the state’s tourism and hospitality industry and the economy in general.

She noted that the absence of a five-star hotel in the state was greatly responsible for the paucity of international flights into Enugu, and inability of the state to host money-spinning conferences like those of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA).

You will agree with me that this will not just boost our economy but also boost Enugu as the heart of Igboland,” she stated.

Ubru, on his part, said the revitalisation of the UPPL would create jobs, put Enugu State in the forefront as one of the biggest producers of oil palm products, and also help the state to earn foreign exchange. 

Dr. Ozor said the administration had commenced the first phase of the Transport Infrastructure Project (TIP), an initiative that covers the Enugu Central Station situated opposite the Holy Ghost Cathedral, the Garki Central Station, the Abakpa Central Station and the Nsukka Central Station.

He said it was part of the government’s effort to bring about an affordable, efficient and sustainable transportation system in the state, and use transport as a key growth driver to grow the economy from current $4.4 billion to $30 billion.

The Eastern Updates

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Recent Comments