Listen to article
An audio message circulating on social media asking residents of the southeast to observe a one-week sit-at-home from the 3rd of July 3 to the 10th of July has been debunked by the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB).
The sit-at-home order, purported to have come from a breakaway faction of the group, with the tag #FreeNnamdiKanu, is aimed at forcing the Federal Government to release Nnamdi Kanu, who has been in the custody of the Department of State Services (DSS).
Emma Powerful who is the spokesperson of the IPOB, told reporters on Friday that the sit-at-home order did not emanate from the group.
‘IPOB did not declare the infamous sit-at-home. Those doing that (declaring the sit-at-home) are criminals who want to use Mazi Nnamdi Kanu’s name and IPOB to perpetrate criminalities in the South-eastern states, but it won’t work for them.
‘They want Mazi Nnamdi Kanu to remain in the SSS solitary confinement’, he said.
Recall that the secessionist group had earlier in the week come down hard on a former militant leader, Asari Dokubo, over his recent comments about the group and its leader, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu.
In a statement sent to The Eastern Updates, the spokesperson of the group, Emma Powerful accused Dokubo of using Kanu’s name to buy favour from the Federal Government in oil pipeline protection contract, saying IPOB was not in the league of militants and oil pipeline guards.
He described Dokubo’s voluntary request to guard oil pipelines as a move for monetary gain and to work as a Federal Government’s decoy.
He said IPOB stood for freedom for Biafrans, including those working as oil pipeline security guards, and Kanu has never attacked any oil infrastructure nor killed anyone in the course of his struggle for independent Biafra.