Listen to article
The candidate of the Labour Party in the just concluded presidential election, Peter Obi, has once again reiterated that the campaign he ran in the build-up to the general election was not based on ethnicity or religion as being peddled in some quarters.
Obi said this in a statement he signed on Tuesday in reaction to allegations attributed to the Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed.
Mohammed had, at a media briefing in Washington DC, United States, accused Obi of treason, which the LP candidate described as part of campaigns of calumny against his person.
Obi said, ‘It is most unfortunate that these consistent efforts to portray me quite contrary to what I am, and my core values, is coming from such high quarters. Minister Lai accusing me of stoking insurrection is totally malicious and fictitious.’
‘I have never discussed or encouraged anyone to undermine the Nigerian state; I have never sponsored or preached any action against the Nigerian state. Those initiating these actions have increasingly used their official positions and agents to make false allegations against me.
‘I am on record as always, advocating for peace and issue-based campaign and never campaigned based on ethnicity or religion. I am committed to due process, and presently seeking redress in the court.’
The former governor of Anambra State then urged those engaged ‘in this demarketing process to stop presenting Nigeria in such bad light.’
‘Our future generations deserve a new Nigeria, where they can live a secure and decent life like their counterparts in other climes. It is possible,’ he added.
The Eastern Updates reports that the former Governor of Anambra State is presently in court to prove the claims that he had earlier made that he won the polls.