Ahead of his arraignment on Wednesday, October 21, the detained leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, has urged millions of his supporters to embark on a dry fast.
His counsel, Ifeanyi Ejiofor, who stated this on his verified Facebook page, also stated that Kanu was well.
Ejiofor said Kanu asked him to tell his followers that he was in high spirits ahead of his arraignment at the Federal High Court in Abuja next Thursday.
The statement which was obtained by The Eastern Updates read, ‘Prominent among the falsehoods desperately championed by mischief makers is the trending subject that our dear client, Onyendu Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, has been flown to China, and from China to Israel, and from Israel to Kontokatafi, etc.
‘We know the purveyors of this fake news and they are aware that their evil conspiracies are dead on arrival.
‘Onyendu was equally amazed by the fake news that was making headlines on some social media platforms that he was asked to sign a document before regaining his freedom. This is total falsehood and he is urging his esteemed followers to please ignore this falsehood.
‘Above all, our indefatigable client is strong and tenaciously holding firm in spirit. He is ready for the 21st October 2021 appearance in court. This date is sacrosanct and shall remain so.
‘Thankfully, the Federal Government of Nigeria is fully aware of this date, and more compelling is the fact that the detaining authority has since over a month ago concluded every purported investigation into the matter.
‘Hence, no plausible excuse will be available to them not to produce Onyendu Mazi Nnamdi Kanu in court come Thursday, the 21st day of October 2021. You must all see him live and direct on this date.
‘Our client, Onyendu Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, urges millions of his followers and supporters to continue to conduct themselves and carry on within the ambit of the law, as you all have always done. More striking and commendable is the fact that your solidarity has remained unshaken against all intimidating circumstances, and for this, he is deeply grateful.’
THE EASTERN UPDATES
Nigeria’s Minister of Defence, Major General Bashir Magashi (retd.), has revealed that a total of 102 ex-Biafran soldiers granted presidential pardon have been captured for payment of gratuity and other emoluments by the Military Pensions Board.
Magashi made this revelation when spoke at the ministerial briefing to inaugurate the 2022 Armed Forces Remembrance Day celebration in Abuja on Friday.
He stated, ‘It will interest you to know that the Military Pensions Board just concluded the documentation of ex-Biafran service personnel totalling 102 who were pardoned by Mr President.’
‘The war ended 51 years ago and many of those involved are no longer alive but those with genuine complaints can come forward with their claims for consideration.’
He also stated payment of pension and gratuities to retired military personnel had been prompt and regular, adding that the ministry in conjunction with the Military Pensions Board conducts regular verification exercises for military pensioners to streamline and check leakages in the system.
He promised that the ministry would continue to engage the pensioners through relevant organs such as the Nigerian Legion, the Veteran Affairs Division, and the Military Pensions Board to ensure meeting government obligations.
THE EASTERN UPDATES
The Vice-Chancellor of Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike (MOUAU), has claimed that the quota of 5,127 for the school by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) is grossly inadequate.
The school matriculated 4,522 new students into 11 colleges of the institution made up of 39 departments.
Addressing students, the Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Maduebibisi Ofo Owe said the quota by JAMB is ‘grossly inadequate when compared with the teeming population of candidates seeking admission into the university.’
The VC warned the students that MOUAU ‘is not a society of rascals or hub for acts of prostitution’, and called for ‘decent, modest and reasonable’ dressing.
He advised the students to shun cultism as ‘anyone who allows himself/herself to be lured and initiated into cult groups shall be shown his way out of this University.’
According to him, the university has what it calls ‘core values which every staff and student should adopt on daily basis.’
Prof. Owe urged parents and guardians to assist the university in training their children and wards.
THE EASTERN UPDATES
Ahead of the 2023 general election, Ebonyi State Governor and Chairman of the South-East Governors Forum, Chief David Umahi has demanded that two ministerial slots be handed to his state for the sake of equity.
He made this known while addressing prominent stakeholders of the state during the state Congress of the All Progressive Congress, APC, that took place at the Pa Ngele Oruta Township, Abakaliki, Ebonyi State capital.
He said that his defection from the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, to the ruling APC is a great gain to the people of the southeast region.
Umahi further noted that the southeast region, especially Ebonyi State is prepared to give President Muhammadu Buhari and APC leadership all needed support to succeed.
According to him: ‘There is no division in APC in Ebonyi state. One or two persons may not be happy but it doesn’t mean that tomorrow they will not be happy.
‘I want to specially thank the leaders of APC from the ward Congress to the state level. They have stood with the party, one or two complaints here and there but the spirit of oneness and togetherness and for the interest of the party, they have to sacrifice, so that we can have the best.
‘I want our President to note that our party, APC in Ebonyi state is a great party and when positions are to be shared, you have to look at the tenacity of the party in each state. Ebonyi state deserves two ministerial positions.
‘We will continue to support Mr President Muhammadu Buhari and we will as well continue to support APC leadership at all levels. I want to congratulate those that are here to conduct the APC state Congress.’
Umahi had recently come under fire for saying that he prays that God gives Nigeria another leader like President Buhari.
THE EASTERN UPDATES
The Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), on Saturday, provided clarification on insinuations that they have declared a sit-at-home on Monday and Tuesday next week.
IPOB’s spokesman, Emma Powerful, issued the rebuttal in response to reports making the rounds that it declared a sit-at-home.
Powerful, in a statement which was made available to The Eastern Updates, insisted that such reports did not emanate from him and should be discarded.
He stressed that the reports were created by government agents aimed at de-marketing IPOB and causing confusion.
The statement read: ‘The attention of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) ably led by our great and indefatigable leader, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, has been drawn to the fabricated statement being circulated by mischief makers and paid agents of darkness that IPOB had directed Biafrans to sit-at-home Monday, October 18; Tuesday, October 19; and Thursday, October 21 for our leader, and One year anniversary of #EndSARS protest.
‘We want to make it categorically clear that the above purported statement did not emanate from IPOB, and we completely dissociate with such falsehood. IPOB did not issue any sit-at-home except on October 21 when our leader is expected to appear in court.
‘We therefore urge members of the public to ignore the purported statement and utter falsehood being peddled by paid agents of government to create confusion and demarket IPOB. Their intention is to portray IPOB as a violent and insensitive movement but we know their antics, and shall beat them to it.’
Powerful said IPOB only declared a sit-at-home on Thursday, October 21 because its leader, Nnamdi Kanu is expected to appear in court.
‘For the sake of clarity, IPOB has not called for any sit-at-home except on Thursday, October 21 when our Leader Mazi Nnamdi Kanu will appear in court in Abuja. Biafrans will solidarise with him by staying indoors on that day because we are all in the struggle together. He did nothing to deserve any persecution by the Federal Government.
‘We seriously warn all those behind this rumour to retrace their steps and stop tarnishing the good image of IPOB.
‘As a responsible and responsive movement, we stopped Monday Sit-at-homes in the interest of our people. When we discovered that hooligans and paid agents of death wanted to hijack the opportunity to unleash mayhem on our people are cleverly blame it on IPOB, we stopped it. So, anybody sitting at home on Mondays does so out of one’s volition and not on the orders of IPOB.
‘We also urge the general public to ignore the fake news that our leader Mazi Nnamdi KANU has been taken away by foreign government,’ he added.
Igwe Maduabuchi Nevobasi, The Ezeani II of Mmaku Kingdom, Awgu Local Government Area of Enugu State has declared that President Muhammadu Buhari would always be welcome in any part of the country, the Southeast particularly.
The monarch stated that as a young military office, Buhari fought for the unity of Nigeria and therefore should be accorded that honour.
According to a statement by Deputy Director (Information) in the state house, Abiodun Oladunjoye, the monarch made the declaration Friday at the Presidential Villa in Abuja by while on a courtesy visit to Mr. Femi Adesina, Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity.
The monarch stated that asides the war of unity fought by the young Buhari, the President has equally done many things for the Southeast, perhaps more than any of his predecessors.
‘Look at the Second River Niger Bridge, which is going on at a frenetic pace. Enugu International Airport has a brand new runway and is now in use. The Enugu-Port Harcourt Expressway, Onitsha-Enugu road, and many others are also things to point at in the region,‘ the Igwe said.
‘We thank President Buhari for all he has done for Nigeria in six years. It has not been easy due to many challenges, particularly security, but the good work continues. Igbos would always welcome and support him, and we urge him not to relent in his efforts to keep the country together,’ the monarch added.
On the fight against corruption, he lauded what he called “the admirable strides so far,” adding that there should be no let up, so that public funds can be safeguarded and utilized for development.
Igwe Nevobasi had bestowed the traditional title of Isimmri 1 of Mmaku (Main Source of Water) on President Buhari in 2018, and he says he did it “because we value the man, appreciate his love for country, and for us in the Southeast particularly.”
He assured that calm and peace would soon return to the region, as the traditional institution was working hard to engender reconciliation, and calm frayed nerves.
THE EASTERN UPDATES
The hotel is the temporal office of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, in Ebonyi State wherein all members of the party, according to reports would gather to distribute state congress electoral materials that is scheduled to hold at the Peoples Club Event Centre, Abakaliki.
Umahi had said the reason for sealing off the hotel that belongs to senator Obinna Ogba was as a result of a rumoured attempt by aggressive members of APC to hold a parallel state congress at the venue.
The governor made this known while addressing stakeholders of the state during an enlarged APC meeting that took place at the Christian Ecumenical Centre, Abakaliki.
He said: ‘One, Kenneth Nwakparata wants to conduct a parallel congress, he wrote a letter on social media saying he wants to conduct a parallel congress. That letter is fake and I have declared him wanted. Anywhere you see him, bring him to the police, you will get 500,000, and where he wants to conduct the congress is at Obinna Ogba Hotel.
‘Well, they have gone to ask and they said they didn’t book the place but only wrote to me. I am cancelling any meeting there tomorrow. There shall be no meeting there and the CP must take over that place, the entire place must be beefed up with security. But, if you want to try, you try and go there and see what will happen. I am the chief security officer of the state and it is my duty to maintain law and order.
‘No be every governor, they go try anyhow. Make them try this one and see. Is not possible for everybody to be very happy, that notwithstanding, if you want accommodation, we will give you. It must not be your will to stand, but it’s the will of the majority of the people of Ebonyi state because Ebonyi state is APC and APC is Ebonyi State.
‘Let me commend the various senatorial zones for the manner and peaceful way they resolved the positions that were zoned to them. The party’s constitution accommodates zoning and so, there is nothing anybody can do about that,’ he stated.
In a swift reaction, the chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Elder Fred Udeogu, however, urged the governor to refrain from making a ridiculous statement that is capable of putting the lives of the peoples and the entire state in danger.
THE EASTERN UPDATES
Igbo in the Diaspora namely World Igbo Congress and the Igbo World Assembly, as well as the Pan-Niger Delta Forum (PANDEF), have pledged to do anything in their power to resist any attempt to rig the November 6 governorship election in Anambra State.
Speaking at a ceremony organized by a rights group, Civil Society Committee for Anti-fraud Election Security facilitated by a social entrepreneur and media influencer, Mr. Kennedy Iwere in Awka, the groups sent a warning to those planning to subvert the wishes of the electorate to forget the idea as the people would not give them the opportunity in any part of the state.
Those who spoke for the groups via zoom include Dr. Nwachukwu Anakwenze of World Igbo Assembly, Professor Anthony Ejiofor of World Igbo Congress, former Minister of Women Affairs, Mrs. Josephine Anenih, and Mr. Ken Robinson of PANDEF.
They unanimously urged stakeholders involved in the conduct of the election and the politicians to ensure that the poll was free, fair, credible, and devoid of intimidation.
While condemning the frequent blood-letting in the state ahead of the poll, they regretted that certain people were planning to impose an unpopular governor on the state at all cost.
Anakwenze, said, ‘Anambra State is Igbo heartland. External forces outside the state are doing everything under the sun, including wasting people’s lives, to impose a governor on the state to enable them hijack the South-East region’.
On his part, Prof Ejiofor, who spoke from Germany said: ‘We have reliable information that voters in the state will be intimidated in such a way that they won’t come out to cast their votes during the governorship election through militarilization on the polling day, to pave way for manipulation of the process in favour of a predetermined candidate.’
He warned that WIC under his leadership would mobilise a heavy protest in Europe against the move if the governorship poll is manipulated.
THE EASTERN UPDATES
Apex Igbo socio-cultural organization, Ohanaeze Ndigbo has called on the international community to prevail on the President Muhammadu Buhari-led administration on the need for a dialogue over the rising tension in the South-East zone of the country.
This was contained in a statement issued by the Secretary-General of the Chidi Ibeh-led Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Mazi Okechukwu Isiguzoro.
He reiterated his stand that only dialogue would see to the resolution of the heightened insecurity and secessionist agitation in the zone.
Isiguzoro, therefore, ‘called for a fresh conversation between the Federal Government and Ndigbo on issues on Biafra agitation and the rationale behind the ideologies of the secessionist movements in Nigeria. We don’t know why the Federal Government is shying away from dialogue and playing the ostrich.
‘We are calling on the international community to pressurize President Muhammadu Buhari to see genuine reasons for a dialogue with Igbo, for peaceful coexistence, and resolving the issues that will restore confidence and guarantee security in the Southeast.
‘This is a trying time for Southeastern Nigeria. The International community should step in to ensure that there is a dialogue between Buhari and Ndigbo, without interference from politicians. Incorruptible Igbo leaders should lead the discussion.
‘It’s time for UK, USA, China, and others to wade into the crisis in Southeastern Nigeria’.
‘Ndigbo are ready for actions that will bring solutions to the security challenges in the South-East.
UK, USA, and China should show attention to the causes of insecurity and violence in the Southeast and make President Buhari see the reason to sit down with Igbo for dialogue.
‘There are unseen hands-on the recent crisis and they are happy to see to the destruction of South-East for the second time after 1970,’ he submitted.
THE EASTERN UPDATES