Listen to article
Crisis looms in Mbulu Owo Community of Enugu State as concerned citizens petition Governor Ugwuanyi over misrule by their traditional ruler, Igwe Godwin Okeke Arum.
The petition reads:
Rt. Hon. Dr. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi
Executive Governor, Enugu State.
PETITION AND SAVE OUR SOULS (SOS) LETTER AGAINST THE INCESSANT DEHUMANIZATION OF PERSON, SALE OF COMMUNITY LANDS, SEIZURE & CONVERSION OF PEOPLE’S LANDS AND OTHER RESOURCES, ABUSE OF OFFICE, HARASSMENT AND TORTURE OF POOR INDIGENES AND ACUTE HIGH HANDEDNESS BY OUR TRADITIONAL RULER HIS ROYAL HIGHNESS, IGWE GODWIN OKEKE ARUM OF MBULU OWO AUTONOMOUS COMMUNITY, NKANU EAST LGA, ENUGU STATE.
We the concerned citizens of Mbulu Owo Autonomous Community in Nkanu East Local Government Area of Enugu State do hereby formally bring to your notice a formal PETITION AND SAVE OUR SOUL (SOS) letter the brutish, autocratic high handed nature of leadership meted out on us by our Traditional Ruler H.R.H Igwe Godwin Okeke Arum in the following light before he kills all of us and take over all land and resources belonging to the community and personal belonging of citizens.
1. The coronation of H.R.H Igwe Okeke Godwin Arum on 28/11/2008 was from the outset thought to be a source of blessing to our beloved community ( The Mbulu Owo Community) in Nkanu East Local Government Area of Enugu State but however the reverse became the case from the first day of his assumption on the said office till date.
2. For the natives who would muster the courage to challenge his misdeeds but with lesser or no financial muscles, the suspect would resort to drawing of false, grievous and unwarranted petition to the Police Force alleging them to be armed robbers and assassins, the last example of which his last petition that he wrote to the Police which led to arrest of our 5 youths anti-cult & anti-kidnapping on the 23rd day of August, 2019 and almost at the intervention of the Commissioner of Police and other well-meaning citizens they were released on 19th day of February, 2020, after about 6 months in illegal detention.
Thank God for the Commissioner of Police and the State Judiciary this saw their detention as illegal, unwarranted and gross abuse of fundamental Human Rights of those youths. Their names are:
1. Tochukwu Amowo , 2. Ezekiel Njoku Jnr, 3. Chukwuemeka Nwode, 4. Obum Okoye, 5. Emeka Okoro etc.
3. Igwe Arum is still pursuing several others those he claims are not loyal to him, those who refuse to be used as his village thugs and those who dare ask him questions of his wrongdoing and handedness in the community such as Ifeanyi Okereke, Tochukwu Aniowo, Sunday Igwe, Emma Njoku, Ezekiel Njoku Jnr, Chukwuemeka Okoro etc.
4. Please note that Igwe Arum recently sold 60 plots of land at the rate of #600,000 Naira each plot totaling 36,000,000 million Naira from a community owned land know as Mbulu Owo Community site recovered from Mr. peter Okoye’s family from Anambra without consultation with stakeholders. He had earlier sold 10 plot and 5 plots of land respectively and he used the from the sales to personally enriched himself and alsocaused and sponsor troubles and haras and intimidate the poor and vulnerable indigenes of Mbulu-Owo Community.
5. For over a period of 10 years running, Igwe Arum has been harvesting sharp sand from idodo River, timber woods from our forests and other families farm lands using brutal force, intimidations and various degrees of threats. He is also harvesting Bamboo sticks, stones and other mineral resources and uses the monies legalized for his personal gains without carrying the members of the community along or remitting money to the government.
6. Igwe Arum has for a long time now been selling out both the communal lands and individual /family lands of the natives of Mbulu Owo without the consents of the member of the community and some of the families currently under his threat of being killed if they report to any quarter or go to any enforcement agents are the: Okorie Ega’s family, Nshoke Nwa Ewamba family, Ogbachi Nnamani’s family just to mention a few.
7. Igwe Arum has mandated that any sale of all personal lands or family land in Mbulu Owo must be through him and ordered that the sum of one hundred thousand Naira (#100,000) must be given to him from each plot of land sold by the sellers and the buyers and all these have been going on for the past 7 years despite agitations and complains.
Mbulu Owo Community states that Igwe Arum in order to enhance his despotic leadership has set up a torture group known as Royal Palace Guards, RPG, which he uses at will to deal with any dissenting voice in the area.
In the petition signed by concerned citizens of the community, a copy which was made available to The Eastern Updates urged Governor Ugwuanyi to set up a panel of inquiry in order to avert the looming disaster.
THE EASTERN UPDATES